Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

To all interested parties.

For awhile now people have contacted me about publishing their short stories. There also seems to be more and more posts about this subject on th site. Ever since I posted the ePub primer here in dieselpunks.org, I've been thinking about initiating A group publishing / marketing experiment. Anyone who wants to participle is welcome.

What if we published our own Dieselpunk Anthology?

For now, we will on plan on making one book only. We could distribute it here and/or in all of the ebookstores. It could be a free ebook or we could sell it and use all the proceeds to fund the hosting for this website. I haven't discussed this with Tome but i suspect he'll be interested. We will decide on this before publishing .

As I was thinking about it, i was trying not to get bogged by down by too many rules. the simpler it is the more likely it is to get done, but I know we need some kind of framework to operate within.

** So these are guidelines i came up with…

1 Something diesel. the individual writer decides what the phrase means to them.
2 a story shouldn't be more than 20 pages?
3 poetry is welcomed
4 whatever you create, it should be complete/self-contained/stand-alone idea.
5 you have to do your own editing
6 whoever writes something for the ebook is in the ebook.
7 the individual is responsible for their own copyrights.
8 it has to be original material (as in, it can't be a Shadow reprint)
9 the stories will be in random order in the anthology
10 text only
11 use your existing characters in these short stories if you want to.
12 ebook only

** What would the terms be?

once the ebook is live you can't pull your stuff out, but you can publish your material wherever else you want, since you are the copyright holder.

** what is John Picha willing to put in?

- the cover
- one of the stories.
- I may be willing to fork over one of my open ISBNS (but i have to think more about this one)
- I'll make the epub and mobi finals.
- I'll handle the introduction
- I'll keep everything as simple and as un-sticky as possible.
- I'll get the final on every ebookstore possible.
- answer any questions.

** Who will publish the Dieselpunk Anthology and ePulp Sampler?

I don't want to do this through my accounts, but it can. I'd prefer to see if we can make a dieselpunks account on smashwords just to keep everything simple. I'll discuss this with tome.

** What would it cost to make and publish?

- the cost of an ISBN. it would be about $20 if we used one of mine. not $20 bucks each $20s period. there is a legal entanglement when using the 'free' isbns in smashwords that we should avoid. (if you're familiar with the smashwords contract I'm referring to the indemnity clause.)

** What are the goals?

This experiment can be for fun but also a promotional space for existing series as well a tool to build dieselpunk awareness.

After each story the writer can have a promo-space to direct others to more of their work something like...

"be sure to look for more "adventures of "X" on your favorite iBookstore."

I'm not too worried about making a lot of rules for this part, just think of it as an ad for yourself, just don't make to too long. ha ha. as you're thinking about options remember the same text will be in the books on all the bookstores. feel free to put urls, but not active links.

** wrapping up

Ok that should be enough to get the ball rolling.

basically this little scheme is a learning experience, a showcase, a promotional opportunity and chance to support this website and our community.

- If you're interested just let us know then start writing something.
- There is no approval process.
- it's not a contest it's an experiment.
- Whoever writes something is in.
- Every time we need an unbiased choice I'll roll a six sided dice to decide.

If we can get all the stories in before new years day we can release the book in early January 2013.

If you have any questions, just let me know. this could be a lot of fun.

Ladies and gentlemen, start your typing.

john

Views: 808

Replies to This Discussion

Hello everyone,

The last two weeks have seen me dealing with the hospitalization of my mom and subsequent move to rehabilitation so I have been out of the loop on my projects. I will be getting back into the swing of things as my routine gets back to normal.

Just a FYI -

My best wishes for the health of your mother, Kevin.

Grant,

Thanks for initiating a status update.

Doc,

I hope your mom does well with her physical rehab. Don't let our e-showcase distract you or add any undue stress, just focus on her right now. We can easily change our e-publishing date to accommodate lives twists and turns. You're a part of the diesel-punks family too and we work as a team.

Kayleb and everyone,

Let's officially move our Jan 1st deadline to Feb 1st for now and see if that buys whoever wants to participate enough creative breathing space. Hopefully that will remove any undue pressure anyone may be feeling.

sound good?

John

Yeah, sounds good. I started it today, and will probably actually have to do some plotting and a touch more worldbuilding. My inner-pantster hates it, but with a small word limit, it's necessary. 

John Picha said:

Let's officially move our Jan 1st deadline to Feb 1st for now and see if that buys whoever wants to participate enough creative breathing space. Hopefully that will remove any undue pressure anyone may be feeling.

sound good?

John

Yeah, that's fine.

Sorry for not staying in touch. I'm still in, and will be submitting a Troubleshooter short story to the anthology. Moving the deadline is just what I needed, because I didn't think I could make the first one. Hope we can get all of our writers on board and put a truly quality book out.

So... is this thing still a go? Haven't heard from anyone in a minute.

bard,

thanks for initiating a status check. yes, the DPunk showcase is still a go.

the plan is the same as the original idea, but we moved the to deadline to FEB 1.

On FEB 1 i was planning to post something like 'OK, who's ready?'

then i expect the process to go like this...

- i give my 'copyright your stuff' speech

- I start collection stories 

- since everyone has a promotion space i'll grab those blurbs too.

- if anyone wants their series logos before their story, i'll be happy to add them too.

- I'll see if i can get Tome to write an intro.

- once i collect everything, i'll knock out an epub beta (following the epub primer)

- i'll give everyone a chance to double check their section before we release it.

- i'll ask doc if he's had a chance to play with the participant agreement, if not, no sweat. I'll just i'll make one from what we wrote earlier in the post.

- sometime in feb i'll publish the showcase directly to the following sites as a free book.

- iBookstore
- Amazon Kindle Store
- Lulu
- Barnes and Noble
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Indigo
- smashwords
- goodreads
- drivethrufiction
- XinXii
- omnilit

(as i progress I'll post a play-by-play following the epub primer. this way i can verify the epub primer in case anything in the e-pub e-scape has changed. I'll also add the additional procedures for the new stores i've gotten onto since i posted the original primer.)

then our ebook will be out there forever. our first collective experiment will be over. but i do have an idea for a follow up...

step 1 was 'the epub primer'

step 2 is 'from idea to ebook'

step 3 will be something like a "now that our ebook is out there, what can we do to let people know about it?"

it could be a sort of  'marketing our ebook' lab. basically we can try experiments to drive traffic to the showcase then monitor the downloads to see what effects there are. I'll post the download numbers regularly.

but i don't what to get too far a head of myself. ha ha. let's get through step 2 first, which is getting our showcase out there. we're at 9 days and counting and everyone who wants to participate is more than welcome...

john

Bard Constantine said:

So... is this thing still a go? Haven't heard from anyone in a minute.

:) I'm still here. From the sounds of it I was one of the few who was ready for the January deadline. So I'm just twiddling my thumbs...

Although I still haven't done the blurb thing. Will have to get on to that.

Beyond Constantine, John and myself is there anybody else out there in Dieselpunk.org writers land who is going to submit a writing piece?

I'm going to guess there will be 6 stories in total.

Grant Gardiner said:

Beyond Constantine, John and myself is there anybody else out there in Dieselpunk.org writers land who is going to submit a writing piece?

Just to clarify that last statement: there are six authors confirmed so far? Or are there multiple submissions by someone?

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service