Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

For those who aren't aware of the site, Wattpad - www.wattpad.com - is a place where writers can share their work so readers can find it, connect with the author and give you feedback. I've been on there for three years now and have gone from rank amateur (very rank in some cases) to published author. I've also joined the Wattpad team. 

Part of what I do is talk about the site, but I'm also a huge fan of anything SF, whether it be the spaceships and ray guns type or some of the wonderful sub-genres like Steampunk or Deiselpunk, although I'm sure there's an argument for Alt. History in there too. But that's fine, I love that too. Harry Turtledove's World War 2 series are still some of my favourites to re-read. 

What we are doing is looking for more writers to join the site, particularly in the minority genres and it'd be grand to see some more Deiselpunk on there, if nothing else just for the fact it'd give me some more reading material. 

I'd love to connect with anyone who's interested and I know that Wattpad could benefit those of you who are self-published, established writers or just want to have a go at writing. Any questions please do ping me or you can email me on gavin@wattpad.com.

Cheers, Gav

PS You can also find me here - http://w.tt/TheOrangutan

Or look at the Featured Stories on the site here - http://w.tt/WattpadFeatured

Views: 508

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Gavin,

I joined Wattpad last year and tried it out for a bit. It seems like young writers rule over there, and I wanted to experiment with getting an audience with my developing YA novel Youngblood. I found that is was hard to be heard in all the voices, though -and didn't have the time to invest in able to be there constantly. My last post was about six months ago, but my stuff is still there. I plan on coming back when I get back to completing my Younblood novel.

You can check out my Wattpad profile here: http://www.wattpad.com/user/BardConstantine

Hey, Gav. Thanks for the word on Wattpad. I just wanted to second it. Gavin was the first person to welcome me when I signed up for Wattpad a couple years ago. I've gone up and down in my use of it. As Bard pointed out, it is mostly younger girls. But I also know Gavin has been working hard to help change that. I've helped at different times with small contributions to the effort.

I have benefitted from Wattpad in it's ability to connect me with other writers. It has been a bit more spotty in connecting me with other readers. It has helped me improve my writing (especially pacing and serial episodes).

I'm just now starting a YA serial and am looking forward to possible growing my platform via Wattpad again. I do think it would be fun to see some more DP crowd engaging there. Gravity usually tends to draw more to itself, but takes critical mass to start.

Hi Bard, 

Just had a look at your Youngblood story, it's nicely written, opens well. The demogrpahic is changing slowly, but it can only do that if we get more gents on there, more mature writers and some nicely written work like you have. It does take a little time investment, and can be a bit of a slow burn, but I've found it worth it, as has David above me. If you get your Youngblood novel finished on there I can have a chat with HQ an see if we can get it Featured. That would really raise your profile as you'd appear on the frontpage regularly. One of my novels on there has over 1.6M reads now.

I'd love to see an enclave of good DP writers on there.

Gav 


Bard Constantine said:

Hello Gavin,

I joined Wattpad last year and tried it out for a bit. It seems like young writers rule over there, and I wanted to experiment with getting an audience with my developing YA novel Youngblood. I found that is was hard to be heard in all the voices, though -and didn't have the time to invest in able to be there constantly. My last post was about six months ago, but my stuff is still there. I plan on coming back when I get back to completing my Younblood novel.

You can check out my Wattpad profile here: http://www.wattpad.com/user/BardConstantine

Thanks for the help David, it's much appreciated. Seems like a long time ago since I welcomed you to the site. I seem to remember you wearing a very neat looking woolly hat. 

I think if we can start some critical mass on there it would be grand. 

David Mark Brown said:

Hey, Gav. Thanks for the word on Wattpad. I just wanted to second it. Gavin was the first person to welcome me when I signed up for Wattpad a couple years ago. I've gone up and down in my use of it. As Bard pointed out, it is mostly younger girls. But I also know Gavin has been working hard to help change that. I've helped at different times with small contributions to the effort.

I have benefitted from Wattpad in it's ability to connect me with other writers. It has been a bit more spotty in connecting me with other readers. It has helped me improve my writing (especially pacing and serial episodes).

I'm just now starting a YA serial and am looking forward to possible growing my platform via Wattpad again. I do think it would be fun to see some more DP crowd engaging there. Gravity usually tends to draw more to itself, but takes critical mass to start.

Indeed, those were the days. Upward and onward!

Thanks for checking the story out, Gavin. I would actually be finished with that by now, but I decided to run with the Troubleshooter for a bit. I plan on returning back to Youngblood in a few weeks, so it would be outstanding to be featured once the story is finished. The only question I'd have is if you think that would drive sales outside of Wattpad. It's only a rough draft now, but I'm writing Youngblood to publish it once it's fully finished. If it's available in full form at Wattpad, I wonder if the target audience would care to purchase it when they can read it for free online.

Of course, a YA series in the world of the Troubleshooter would be intriguing as well. Hmmmm....

Gavin Wilson said:

Hi Bard, 

Just had a look at your Youngblood story, it's nicely written, opens well. The demogrpahic is changing slowly, but it can only do that if we get more gents on there, more mature writers and some nicely written work like you have. It does take a little time investment, and can be a bit of a slow burn, but I've found it worth it, as has David above me. If you get your Youngblood novel finished on there I can have a chat with HQ an see if we can get it Featured. That would really raise your profile as you'd appear on the frontpage regularly. One of my novels on there has over 1.6M reads now.

I'd love to see an enclave of good DP writers on there.

Gav 


Bard Constantine said:

Hello Gavin,

I joined Wattpad last year and tried it out for a bit. It seems like young writers rule over there, and I wanted to experiment with getting an audience with my developing YA novel Youngblood. I found that is was hard to be heard in all the voices, though -and didn't have the time to invest in able to be there constantly. My last post was about six months ago, but my stuff is still there. I plan on coming back when I get back to completing my Younblood novel.

You can check out my Wattpad profile here: http://www.wattpad.com/user/BardConstantine

Grand, it would be good to see you back on there. JohnPichu and David Mark Brown from this site are both on there too, it'd be good to get everyone linked up. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. 

Cheers, Gav

Gavin,

Invoke my name and i will appear, but it's Picha not Pichu. ha ha.

david seems to have mastered watt pad. he has an incredible number of reads on one of his books (the one with reefer in the title) which is posted there for free. so he might be a better tour guide of wattpad than me, but here is my take so far...

- before joining, i emailed gavin with a lot of statistical questions about the site and we was very forthcoming with them. so i don't really see any red flags with the operation.

- from the inside, wattpad kind of strikes me as one part high-school writing club and one part e-sock-hop.

- there is a very high percentage of teens on the wattpad site and if you read through the threads it's kind of what you'd expect. it's a lot of "i'm bored. entertain me." posts.

- the site is stuffed full of fan fiction. the one that may be most indicative of the culture was one where a young girl is being abused, but is then rescued by one of the members of the band One Direction. i can't tell if that's funny or tragic, but her ebook was read a million times. (as far as i can tell no purchases were made)

- like bard, it's hard for me to imagine how you could generate a significant number of book sales or migrate a significant amount of customers into the ebookstores after they've been conditioned to having access to a million free stories. even if you have an established brand, why would a reader buy it, if they already read if for free?

- if you're not interested in writing YA stories, the site might be a demographic mismatch. (at least for now and from what i've seen so far)

- and finally, like on all social media site, i suspect you really have to put a lot of work into your presence on Wattpad to get anywhere so you'll have to ask yourself if you think the effort is worth the potential return in sales. i can't tell yet.

john

Doh. Sorry John. =] 

David's been on there a while now and has gained a loyal following. Nice fella and a damn good writer, he's also helped me a lot with my own random etchings. 

All valid points below, but something I'm trying to do is grow communities of like minded individuals, whether it be Dieselpunk, Steampunk, Hard Sf or Alt Fiction. If we gather together and give useful feedback, it means the subgenres become far more visible, start to grow and garner far more interest. 

The demographic of the site is shifting slowly. A couple of years ago it was nearly all teens, and 95% female. Now the age is increasing steadily and there's a lot more men writing.

From small acorns, large oak do grow... we might need a little water occasionally though =] 


John Picha said:

Gavin,

Invoke my name and i will appear, but it's Picha not Pichu. ha ha.

david seems to have mastered watt pad. he has an incredible number of reads on one of his books (the one with reefer in the title) which is posted there for free. so he might be a better tour guide of wattpad than me, but here is my take so far...

- before joining, i emailed gavin with a lot of statistical questions about the site and we was very forthcoming with them. so i don't really see any red flags with the operation.

- from the inside, wattpad kind of strikes me as one part high-school writing club and one part e-sock-hop.

- there is a very high percentage of teens on the wattpad site and if you read through the threads it's kind of what you'd expect. it's a lot of "i'm bored. entertain me." posts.

- the site is stuffed full of fan fiction. the one that may be most indicative of the culture was one where a young girl is being abused, but is then rescued by one of the members of the band One Direction. i can't tell if that's funny or tragic, but her ebook was read a million times. (as far as i can tell no purchases were made)

- like bard, it's hard for me to imagine how you could generate a significant number of book sales or migrate a significant amount of customers into the ebookstores after they've been conditioned to having access to a million free stories. even if you have an established brand, why would a reader buy it, if they already read if for free?

- if you're not interested in writing YA stories, the site might be a demographic mismatch. (at least for now and from what i've seen so far)

- and finally, like on all social media site, i suspect you really have to put a lot of work into your presence on Wattpad to get anywhere so you'll have to ask yourself if you think the effort is worth the potential return in sales. i can't tell yet.

john

As Gavin mentioned, I've been dabbling with Wattpad for a while. And I agree with John on his initial observations as well. The thing that keeps me coming back to Wattpad is its sheer size and adaptability. For any platform to succeed as well as WP has for as long as WP has means it is operated by some smart and flexible people.

As we all know, predicting the next big thing in fiction is difficult as best and ridiculous at worst.

The question I have is this: Can a site like Wattpad direct the development of the next big thing (specifically, the next fad in young adult crossover reading)? Or can it only follow in the wake?

Clockpunk has already experienced some massive commercial success via the Young Adult crowd reading the infernal and eternal devices books. Steam and Diesel are not far off from the sort of dystopian fantasy/sci-fi world that is dipping a toe into the mainstream of these teen and up readers.

Now, if commercial success is not a personal interest, then none of this matters. But I'm trying to make enough money from my writing career to continue doing it full time. Thus my interest in Wattpad. If all I have to do is make the main character in my DP novel a teen girl, create a serial smash hit with the help of a huge site like Wattpad and then push readers offsite to spend money on the next book/installment... anyway, it's a nice theory. I'm working on implementing it.

David,

Have you seen any of your Wattpad readers converting to buyers to date?

John



John Picha said:

David,

Have you seen any of your Wattpad readers converting to buyers to date?

John

 

Not really. Although I have talked to writers who have in a significant way. Those writers were all writing either chick lit or YA. I have gotten a handful of sales from Wattpad to folk like Gavin and others whom I meet and get to know better. But definitely not an amount to make it a fiscally sound practice.

I'm toying with the idea of writing a crossover short that would combine my two new YA dystopian characters with the Hunger Games. If I could get enough traction with this among the Hunger Games fan fic fans on Wattpad, then maybe they would swing over to my profile, read the first season for free and then... maybe... just maybe head off site to buy the next season. If a couple hundred fans would transfer into buyers, then that could mean major stats on Amazon or Kobo, or where ever.

But currently, out of my almost 500 fans, probably around 50 of them have a genuine appreciation for my work and me as an author. Maybe another 50 would jump at a handout. So, overall, not very good numbers.

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service