Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

Hey everyone. Been fairly quiet around here so I was just wondering where everyone was up to with their writing and other projects.

I'm currently writing the fifth episode in my Tommy Thunder series so I'm chewing through the words at a decent clip. The last three episodes were part of the one big story so it's taking a while to get it finished but the end is in sight which is encouraging.

Also been doing some reading. Finished reading Doc Voodoo by Dale Lucas, a pulpy dark avenger tale set in Harlem in the 1920s and full of action, voodoo and a really authentic feeling setting. Not really my kind of story but a decent read if you like your pulp to have thick lashings of the dark supernatural.

Also half way through the Adventures of Fortune McCall collection by Derrick Fergusson. It's a series of fedora-clad pulp adventures with plenty of gangsters and action scenes. Good fun.

So what's everyone else been up to?

Views: 351

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, it does that. I've talked to someone and they said I could change the security settings. I think I've just made it accessible without any sort of permission etc. Try this: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2kbrjkcCzdvdzFybHBITF9VRG8

Hopefully that will work without all the google permission stuff.

CA: I'll have to check out Blightcross as well. The farm kid in me is excited to find out who makes awesome tractors :)

wot's up m8..Aces and Eight's was spot on..perhaps Chester Hime's, Gravedigger Jones, is more your thing ...hahaHa

I got it. I'll try to make some space for this. What sort of feedback are you looking for? A general feeling? Big picture comments? 

Grant Gardiner said:

Yeah, it does that. I've talked to someone and they said I could change the security settings. I think I've just made it accessible without any sort of permission etc. Try this: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2kbrjkcCzdvdzFybHBITF9VRG8

Hopefully that will work without all the google permission stuff.

CA: I'll have to check out Blightcross as well. The farm kid in me is excited to find out who makes awesome tractors :)

Yeah, mostly I just need to know if it's a good 'pilot' episode, whether it sets up a premise interesting enough for people to want to read more etc. Whether it's fun and interesting and makes sense etc. This is the first story in the series so it needs to engage people enough to get them reading the rest of the series (although it will be published with a second story).

Cheers.

Sounds good.

Grant Gardiner said:

Yeah, mostly I just need to know if it's a good 'pilot' episode, whether it sets up a premise interesting enough for people to want to read more etc. Whether it's fun and interesting and makes sense etc. This is the first story in the series so it needs to engage people enough to get them reading the rest of the series (although it will be published with a second story).

Cheers.

Hello Grant. I've been busy with promotion and marketing for my recently published novel The Troubleshooter. The trick it trying to get it in front of the target audience, which is harder than it sounds. But I learn new things everyday, so what I might miss on that project will be something I'll apply to the next one. Currently I'm working on a Silent Empire, a project directly linked to Stefan's Diesel City world, so I'm pretty excited about that. After that I'll be working on a couple of YA novel projects, and then it's back to work on the sequel (and maybe a prequel) to The Troubleshooter. It's important to develop a series, so I'll try to knock out a few Troubleshooter projects in a row to hopefully grow an audience.

I also just finished reading The Best American Noir of the Century, which is a really incredible collection of noir stories by some of the top name in the business. Highly recommended.

Hey Bard. I hope Troubleshooter is doing well. Awareness seems to be the biggest problem with self publishing. All part of the low-cost online start-up small-business known as 'being a self-published writer'.

The good news is that your awesome writing will be on the infinite bookshelf of Amazon for ever, so plenty of time for people to learn about the fun and awesomeness of Troubleshooter.

And Silent Empire sounds exciting. I'm guessing Stefan liked collaborating :) Always a good sign.

Hi there, I'm kind of new to this community. Anyways, I've recently gotten to work on a story based on the story  of Jason Padgett; a college dropout who survived a brutal attack and after awaking from a coma was able to see fractals and draw (he's now earning his Ph.D. in mathematics). I decided to make something similar happen to a surrealist artist in my story.

The story actually grew out of my desire to explore what an air ship airport would look like and operate.

Hi! I'm trying to promote my Reverse-Steampunk novel "Moonlight, Murder & Machinery", and working on my new alt-reality YA trilogy based on Japanese legends and mythology. The second book in the series, "Voice of the Mirror", will have a strong Dieselpunk component.

As for reading, there are a lot of ideas in the posts above that I'm going to follow up! Recently, I also picked up Chris Fowler's "Hell Train" and some  Doc Savage comics - so I've got something to look forward to.  

Sounds really interesting, and welcome to the community!

jsonitsac said:

Hi there, I'm kind of new to this community. Anyways, I've recently gotten to work on a story based on the story  of Jason Padgett; a college dropout who survived a brutal attack and after awaking from a coma was able to see fractals and draw (he's now earning his Ph.D. in mathematics). I decided to make something similar happen to a surrealist artist in my story.

The story actually grew out of my desire to explore what an air ship airport would look like and operate.

The Troubleshooter is coming along quite well. I think once I'm a few novels deep in the series then it has a good chance of getting a following. We're working hard to try to do just that. Anyone who's serious about indie publishing should definitely be aware of the work and business side of things, how proper marketing and promotion are essential. I'm always trying to educate myself further on how to better my plan for success.

And working with Stefan is just sheer awesomeness. We have a lot planned for the future...

Grant Gardiner said:

Hey Bard. I hope Troubleshooter is doing well. Awareness seems to be the biggest problem with self publishing. All part of the low-cost online start-up small-business known as 'being a self-published writer'.

The good news is that your awesome writing will be on the infinite bookshelf of Amazon for ever, so plenty of time for people to learn about the fun and awesomeness of Troubleshooter.

And Silent Empire sounds exciting. I'm guessing Stefan liked collaborating :) Always a good sign.

Those sound like seriously intriguing stories, John! If I may ask, what is 'Reverse Steampunk'?

John Paul Catton said:

Hi! I'm trying to promote my Reverse-Steampunk novel "Moonlight, Murder & Machinery", and working on my new alt-reality YA trilogy based on Japanese legends and mythology. The second book in the series, "Voice of the Mirror", will have a strong Dieselpunk component.

As for reading, there are a lot of ideas in the posts above that I'm going to follow up! Recently, I also picked up Chris Fowler's "Hell Train" and some  Doc Savage comics - so I've got something to look forward to.  

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service