Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

As part of my research on writing a dieselpunk wiki article I just read the article "Discovering Dieselpunk" in the June 2008 issue of the Gatehouse Gazette. If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend it. It's a fascinating discussion between Nick Ottens and Mr. Piecraft, from whence we get such concepts as Ottensian and Piecraftian themes of dieselpunk.

You can download the issue here.

Tags: Gatehouse, dieselpunk, ottensian, piecraftian

Views: 97

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry to say but the link you posted doesn't lead to anything. Or maybe my comp is just horrible

They changed the link since i posted it a year ago. I've since fixed it and it now works. I highly recommend the article.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Angel Edixon Lozada said:

I'm sorry to say but the link you posted doesn't lead to anything. Or maybe my comp is just horrible

Very nice, thank you. I think that we all have our own views, slightly differing, in what is and isn't Dieselpunk -and it's that aspect of punk and individuality that will keep us from agreeing on a standard idea- but it's very interesting to read what these two have to say about it. I think that, for the most part, they've narrowed it down to the most prevalent views. Thank you, Larry.

You're welcome, T von. And well said. I've been saying the same thing for a while and I wish certain others would agree with you.

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."
John W. Gardner 

To say there is only two types of philosophies that form the prevailing infrastructure of Dieselpunk thought seems limiting to me.  In reviewing the original article, i find that it is speaking particularly to the genres of fiction found in Dieselpunk.  When limited to that arena of thought, I find it to be a good start but not necessarily definitive.

However when we pose the question of "what type of disealpunk are you", are we not speaking more about the philosophy , perhaps ones morals as well that the man or women has adopted to live there life, perhaps inspired by or supplemented by there interest in dieslpunk? 

I think this deserves further examination... what say you fellow dieslpunks... 

Kevin, you might find this discussion interesting. http://www.dieselpunks.org/forum/topics/what-is-dieselpunk-to-you

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Special Thanks

Diesel City
Patti Smith
VNV Nation - Ronan Harris

Comrades in Arms

Dieselpunk Industries
Radio Metronomik dieselpunk podcast
Constitutionens Voktere
19XX