Architect Willem Marinus Dudok (1884-1974) designed the town hall of Hilversum in 1924. It was built from 1928 and opened in 1931. It is considered his most important work (more on Dudok here).
Dudok commissioned yellow bricks in special dimensions (some 680,000 were used) and also designed the furniture and interior decorations.
More photos here.
During WWII the building was used as Dutch headquarter of the German Wehrmacht. The prominent tower was then camouflaged.
As Hilversum is also the “media town” of the Netherlands the sound of the tower bell was broadcasted live every hour on the public radio stations until the 1960s.
The building was restored in 1989-1995. The restoration costs led to some rows as it was at one stage proposed to sell a Mondriaan painting of the city’s collection to pay for the restoration.
Drawing and interior photos from www.greatbuildings.com.
A famous drawing of the Hilversum Town Hall by Joost Veerkamp.