This shining diesel streamliner is probably less famous than classic Burlington Route Zephyrs but no less important.
The EMD E5 was a 2,000-horsepower (1,500 kW), A1A-A1A passenger train-hauling diesel locomotive manufactured by Electro-Motive Corporation, and its corporate successor, General Motors' Electro-Motive Division (EMD) of La Grange, Illinois, and produced exclusively for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (“The Burlington Route”), and its subsidiaries, during 1940 and 1941. The E5 was distinguished from the otherwise very similar E3, E4 and E6 by being clad in polished stainless steel to match the Burlington's Zephyr trains, built by Budd.
Like other EMC/EMD models, the E5 had a sloping “slant nose” equipped with two headlights — a regular stationary headlight and a gyrating signal light.
The E5 was the sixth model in a long line of passenger diesels of similar design known as EMD E-units. The 2,000 hp. was achieved by putting two model 567 V12 1,000 hp engines in the engine compartment, each engine driving its own electrical generator to power the traction motors.
The last surviving EMD E5 diesel, named Silver Pilot, is owned and operated by the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois. Here it is in 1997, prior to reconstruction:
...and in the 2000's, with "historic" gray stripes:
Last used on the Fort Worth and Denver Railway (a CB&Q subsidiary) on the Texas Zephyr, the E5 is matched with one of the Burlington's Nebraska Zephyrs, a 5 car, articulated, stainless steel 1936 passenger train.
This equipment was used in the production of the 1992 film A League of Their Own, and for the 2006 film Flags of Our Fathers, E5 9911A Silver Pilot was used with 4 stainless steel passenger cars relettered to resemble the Zephyr trainset.