Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

With no forum discussions for months, uploaded photos awaiting approval for more than a year, it seems dieselpunk.org is more or less dead. Hope, this is not a sign for a general decline of dieselpunk.

Joern 

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just signed up and not seeing anything here either.  Is there a better place to go?

I haven't been on much, but that's because the last few things I've posted basically got zero response. If not dead, it seems to be dying. That's unfortunate. This was a great resource.

What part was a great resource?  Do you know where everyone went?

For some reason (maybe the limited viewing screens on smart phones) forums like this are being used much less lately. 

DP seems to be suffering from a secondary problem in that it has no coalesced into as definable a group as SteamPunk or reenactors.  If I fly to a con or SASS shoot I easily find dressed out SPs to hang out with but DPs not so much.  http://www.dieselpunks.org/forum/topics/what-would-you-really-like-...

I hate to say this but DP could use some more good movies like the rumored Doc Savage series or Rocketeer remake.   People just seem to imitate movies more than anything else. 

Yeah and I think most forums are getting eaten by reddit.

I agree with the movie take.  

I am writing a novel and was looking to join the community to answer questions and see what the fan base is like.  I might have to pivot the novel a bit if DP is too small of a niche.

Reddit?  I am feeling old now.  What exactly is reddit?

Maybe soon we will have VR conventions where you choose an anatomically improbably animated avatar.  No sewing, collecting antiques, firearms regulations, working out, etc...   ;-)

I see DP as just an addition to SP giving me an excuse to wear different clothes, buy more antiques, and maybe, just maybe justify a cool old car.  DP definitely has cooler cars than SP. 

Image result for doc savage car

We have a local DP author who has experienced some success.  His book series has been nicknamed "Fifty Shades of DieselPunk."  At least he found a niche.  He has specifically asked me not to read his books which is probably best. 

reddit is just an online forum where you can share links and comment on them.  www.reddit.com is the main site but they got "subreddits" that cover everything from airplanes to knitting to steampunk.  

Thank you. I am exploring this reddit site.

We just returned from the 7th SteamPunk Cruise (where DPs are welcome) and went on a post cruise dinner cruise aboard the sternwheeler CREOLE QUEEN on the first night of Mardi Gras in New Orleans. We created a mini event and invited the local New Orleans SP community of about 800 folks. Zero showed. This surprises us since when SP folks have dropped in here to our little landlocked city of about 31K about half a dozen locals will dress out and meet them even on work days.
I am SCA which is generally a hospitable international organization and we have come to expect responses from local groups. This may be part of the reason that DP seems dead - SCA is a mind set while DP/SP is just a costume hanging in the closet until Halloween or the one big local con.
BTW - SP clothes don't even rate a glance during Mardi Gras. There are several SP shops there such as "Road Kill" & the "Halloween Store."
I have been exploring Reddit like https://www.reddit.com/r/Dieselpunks and the posts do not appear to be much more frequent than here despite 4K registered members.

Maybe it would help if we had a chat function here when people happen to be online(?)

What is the basic premise of your story?  I am writing one as well. 

Chad Boyer said:

Yeah and I think most forums are getting eaten by reddit.

I agree with the movie take.  

I am writing a novel and was looking to join the community to answer questions and see what the fan base is like.  I might have to pivot the novel a bit if DP is too small of a niche.

It is a ww1 meets mecha  meets global domination story set in a sci fi future but retro technology.   Basically we expanded formed an empire and then collapsed back and the protagonists are trying to consolidate the world under one banner to rejoin the empire.

What's yours about?

I'm afraid message boards in general are on the decline. Our own steam- and dieselpunk community, the Smoking Lounge, isn't very active either.

Surely at some point Facebook will implode and people will remember what made message boards much more fun?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service