Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

I just found what appears to be a Diesel Era image online and don't know anything about it but found it amazing.

Because of the requirements of the host for the site I've simply included a link to the image.

Views: 860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good one!

The internet offers two stories for this photo. The first is that it was taken by E. J. Bellocq as part of his series of photos of women of Storyville, New Orleans' pre-WWI red light district. The second is that it was taken by Alfred Cheney Johnston, the Ziegfeld Follies' house photographer, of actress Beatrice Roberts. I'm inclined to believe the latter, partly because it looks to me more Johnston's style, partly because it does look like Roberts, and partly because a web search for those terms turns up a second pose at the same location.

That's really fantastic research Etaoin. Thanks for posting it.

Here's two images we can use to compare. This first image is similar to the one I posted earlier and is NSFW but this one gives us a view of her face from the front. The second image is a scene of Beatrice Roberts acting in Flash Gordon.

Looking at the faces I don't know if it was her or not. There does seem to be close resemblance.

Here is the other pose of the same person in the same place. Unfortunately neither Google nor Tineye nor I recognize the photo in the background.

This photo of Roszika Dolly by A C Johnston was unambiguously taken in the same place — the vertical irregularities at the right of the backdrop are the same. Though not so clearly all the same site, a towel in the upper left corner appears frequently in Johnston's photos.

Fantastic set of links to images, Etaoin.

Those are pretty cool.

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/thekommissarspeaks
My tumbler now has a couple photos that I was inspired to make thanks to you Larry. :)
And you don't see photographic craftsmanship like that anymore, it's really impressive! :3

Beautiful image...

Hmmm...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2020   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by