Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

The 39 Steps to Choosing a Weapon for 1930s Characters - quiz

The 39 Steps to Choosing a Weapon for 1930s Characters  a rather fun little quiz to find out what your character would be carrying.  Found reference to it on our steampunk cousins' forum Brass Goggles.

http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-39-steps-to-choosing-a-weapon-...

I got a Luger P08. 

Views: 1053

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

got a webley mk VI and a S&W military and police (back up) :-)

I consider myself to be a pretty big gun expert, and I can't help but think that my result of the Browning M1903 was pretty fitting. In an urban setting I would have actually picked a Browning M1910 in 9mm Browning short, but yeah, I like that gun quite a bit, especially since I'm a 9mm fan.

I got the Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver. That makes sense, I suppose, since I was going for an adventurer/Indiana Jones/explorer type of guy. 

I keep getting similar results on these "tests."  I do carry a .45 single action (OK, two.)  I have been trying to resist a Webley .455 since I do not want to have to learn to reload another old, hard to find round.  "Automatic revolver????"  Why?   I would rather carry a 1911 or how about a .44 Bulldog?  Those are tough little double action guns.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Bull_Dog_revolver 

Interesting.  Mine came up Smith M.10 or 1917, or the Colt New Service.  Given that those were the guns of my youth, I'd have to give the testing process a pretty good set of marks.

Your phrase "guns of my youth" brought back memories of this one that I used to carry:

From FM 23-35 Chapter 1 (US Army Handguns):

1-3. REVOLVER, CALIBER .38

There are six basic caliber .38 service revolvers in use by the Army. One is a 2-inch barreled, .38-caliber revolver made by Smith and Wesson; five are 4-inch barreled, .38-caliber revolvers--three made by Ruger, and two by Smith and Wesson. The 2-inch barreled revolver is used mainly by Army CID and counterintelligence personnel. The 4-inch barreled revolvers are used by aviators and military police.

a. Equipment Data.

Smith and Wesson

Caliber-----------------------------------0.38 inches
System of Operation-------------------Rotated chamber
Length: 2-Inch Barrel--------------------7 1/4 inches
4-Inch Barrel--------------------9 1/4 inches
Weight: 2-Inch Barrel---------------------26.5 ounces
4-inch Barrel---------------------30.5 ounces
Length of Barrel--------------------2 inches/4 inches
Muzzle Velocity-------------------950 feet per second
Muzzle Energy------------------16,000 per square inch
Maximum Range: 2-Inch Barrel---------------868 meters
4-Inch Barrel---------------992 meters
Maximum Effective Range-----45 meters (2-inch barrel)
60 meters (4-inch barrel)
Front Sight--------------Fixed 1/8-inch serrated ramp
Rear Sight-------------------------------Square notch
Safety Features-----------No manually operated safety
Basic Load----------------------------------18 rounds

Ruger

Caliber-----------------------------------0,38 inches
System of Operation-------------------Rotated chamber
Length-----------------------------------9 1/4 inches
Weight--------------------------------------33 ounces
Length of Barrel-----------------------------4 inches
Muzzle Velocity-------------------950 feet per second
Muzzle Energy------------------16,000 per square inch
Maximum Range------------------------------992 meters
Maximum Effective Range---------------------60 meters
Front Sight-------------------------------Fixed blade
Rear Sight-------------------------------Fixed groove
Safety Features-----------No manually operated safety
Basic Load----------------------------------18 rounds
b. Operation.

(1) When firing single-action, the hammer is pulled back, and the sear engaged the full-cock notch in the hammer.

(a) Smith and Wesson: Pulling the trigger lowers the hammer block, allowing the hammer to fall.

(b) Ruger: Pulling the trigger raises the transfer bar into the firing position between the hammer and firing pin, allowing the hammer to strike the firing pin.

(2) When firing double-action, the trigger is squeezed. This engages the sear, raising the hammer to nearly full-cock position. Continued pressure on the trigger allows the sear to escape from the trigger and the hammer to fall.

(a) Smith and Wesson: When the trigger is squeezed, the rebound slide pivots the hammer block downward, striking the cartridge primer.

(b) Ruger: When the trigger is squeezed and held to the rear, the transfer bar passes force from the transfer bar to the firing pin, striking the cartridge primer. If the trigger is not held to the rear, the hammer rests directly on the frame and the transfer bar remains below the firing pin.

(3) The cylinder stop (Smith and Wesson) or latch (Ruger) prevents the cylinder from making more than one-sixth of a revolution each time the weapon is cocked. The cylinder stop/latch withdraws from the cylinder as the trigger moves. The trigger hand (Smith and Wesson) or pawl (Ruger) pivots and engages the ratchet on the extractor/ejector portion of the cylinder. The trigger slips off of the cylinder stop/latch as it continues rearward. The cylinder stop/latch then engages the next notch.

NOTES: 1. In firing the Ruger, the trigger must remain all the way back till the hammer falls. If the trigger is released before the hammer falls, the weapon will not fire. In firing the Smith and Wesson, the weapon fires only when the trigger is pulled all the way back.

2. For additional information on the technical aspects of the caliber .38 see TM 9-1005-226-14 and TM 9-1005-205-14&P-1.

I found that the Ruger made ones shot better than the S&W made ones which shot better than the Colt made ones.  I sort of had half a notion to buy a stainless Ruger Security Six of my own since it would also be able to shoot .357.  Reliable little thing. 

Because of the make of many of these guns this seems like an appreciative audience to share these with.  Sort of brings out my inner pimp.  ;-) 

http://mygundiary.blogspot.com/2013_10_01_archive.html

Very interesting, since the Ruger Service Six was what I carried 'prefessionally' when I was working with a tin target on my chest.... The .357 is kinda wasted in a four inch barrel, and a six is unwieldy to carry. The shotgun wound up coming out of the cruiser whenever it looked like there was going to be 'interesting times'.

The .357 was introducted by S&W in the 1930s, interestingly enough. The gun made for it was fairly expensive though, but despite the cost, it was a success and sold quite well.

That being said, those engraved guns are breathtaking, especially the Mauser C96. That is beauitful!

Barry Tabor said:

Very interesting, since the Ruger Service Six was what I carried 'prefessionally' when I was working with a tin target on my chest.... The .357 is kinda wasted in a four inch barrel, and a six is unwieldy to carry. The shotgun wound up coming out of the cruiser whenever it looked like there was going to be 'interesting times'.

Best of all is the intricately decorated Spanish gold pistol owned by Sun Yat-sen.

http://www.smartshanghai.com/articles/activities/offbeat-shanghai-p...

Found where this pistol is now.  Seems to be a little mysterious and probably had a colorful history.  My old Broomhandle seems to have been shot by the whole Chinese army and not nearly pristine enough for this level of engraving then plating.  I recently ran into a pretty good engraver who is tempting me to send him gun parts..... 

Curious WW I submachine gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfLpXSbHw1Q  

First, let me say that since I don't have a "character" per se, I entered the real me as best I could. I have been a sailor and soldier, I have adventured in the Middle East, I have been in a couple of wars, so all I really had to do was shift my dates, and it worked pretty well. Knowing that, I got the M1911A, with a Webley automatic pistol as back up. The 1911 makes sense, as it's a military weapon, and I am indeed familiar with it (though I'm more familiar with its replacement). As for the Webley, well, that's just a sexy pistol.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service