Dieselpunks

Dieselpunk + Steampunk Culture

The League of Extraordinary Black People II: The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth!

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY BLACK PEOPLE II:

The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth

What exactly is a “nerd”?

A nerd is defined as a person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

Nerdiness exists on a continuum. Some people are a little nerdy, while others are very nerdy. The more nerdy you are, the more oblivious of yourself as a social object you tend to be, which leads you to behave in socially awkward ways, such as dressing badly, or failing to take subtle hints.

The onset of nerdiness tends to come early in life and people often grow out of being nerds; rarely, if ever, does someone become a nerd later in life.

Because nerds are awkward and un-smooth, they tend to be rejected and isolated by peers; because it is emotionally painful to experience such marginalization, nerds tend to push themselves to be excellent in aspects of life that do not require social skills.

If they are at all smart, they tend to go whole hog into some intellectual pursuit. Computer science is a favorite, but any non-social intellectual pursuit will do.

Nerds can become very good at their chosen fields because they have very little to keep them from devoting all of their energy to those fields.

These are not balanced people with rich social lives. Instead, these are people who spend holidays writing papers.

I am painfully aware of this because I used to be one of these people.

One Christmas holiday, while visiting my oldest sister, my brother-in-law and my nephews in sunny California (I was born and raised in Chicago), I spent seventy percent of my waking hours writing adventures for my Dungeons & Dragons campaign, twenty percent was spent writing raps (yep, I was an avid fan of hip-hop too), eight percent was spent eating and bathing and the remaining two percent was spent chatting with family and thinking about what I was going to write next.

By the time my “vacation” was over, I was dead tired because, as an extrovert, I am actually energized by social interaction.

Some people’s nerdiness is a function of a condition called Asperger’s Disorder which is a mild pervasive developmental disorder on the same spectrum as Autism.

TO READ THIS BLOG IN ITS ENTIRETY, PLEASE VISIT: http://chroniclesofharriet.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/the-league-of-e....

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done, sir. Excellent post to your blog.

Thank you very much, sir!

Larry said:

Well done, sir. Excellent post to your blog.

greetings fellow nerd!

that link to your blog just answered a few questions that i had on my mind, this evening, and i had always wondered how this whole dieselpunk/steampunk thing was viewed from a black perspective(now I know)...

I've always felt that dieselpunk was more inclusive to people of colour (as it is inclusive of black culture and black music), than steampunk(through no fault of it's own), simply due to the historical basis of steampunk which comes from a Victorian time-period of Colonialism and what happened then - I found this good blog post on the subject.

(I must stress again, this is no criticism of steampunk, or anyone who is into it, i'm talking about a historical point of view, and not the modern ideal)

...that was just one of those moments, when you have a conundrum in your head, and someone appears with the answer - so thanks for that!!!

Thank YOU for your comments.

Well said!

gordon eight said:

greetings fellow nerd!

that link to your blog just answered a few questions that i had on my mind, this evening, and i had always wondered how this whole dieselpunk/steampunk thing was viewed from a black perspective(now I know)...

I've always felt that dieselpunk was more inclusive to people of colour (as it is inclusive of black culture and black music), than steampunk(through no fault of it's own), simply due to the historical basis of steampunk which comes from a Victorian time-period of Colonialism and what happened then - I found this good blog post on the subject.

(I must stress again, this is no criticism of steampunk, or anyone who is into it, i'm talking about a historical point of view, and not the modern ideal)

...that was just one of those moments, when you have a conundrum in your head, and someone appears with the answer - so thanks for that!!!

i hear what you are saying in your original post, though... that "nerd" aspect of my life, i can relate to that in many ways...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Stay in touch

FacebookTwitterRSS

Allied Powers

Diesel powered dieselpunk podcast
Dieselpunk Industries
Seance Media by Tome Wilson
Vnv Nation

© 2019   Created by Tome Wilson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service