The (former) Daily Telegraph Building (Fleet Street, London; architects: Elcock & Sutcliffe with Thomas Tait; built in 1928). Photo by curry15 @ Flickr.
And just a few other buildings, so admirable and so different.
Attention: all captions above the images!
Lawrence Hall, Royal Horticultural Society (Westminster, London). Built in 1926
Carreras Cigarette Factory, (Hampstead Rd., London) designed by M.E and O.H Collins with A.G Porri in 1928, just a few years after Howard Carter had discovered the tomb of the Tutankhamen. The façade was stripped of its decorations in the 1960s and became Greater London House. Thankfully it was restored in 1999.
233 Shaftesbury Avenue (London). An office building, built in 1929, designed by Leo Sylvester Sullivan with Neo Egyptian details (probably) by Henry Poole.
Marshall St Leisure Centre (London). Architects: AWS & KMB Cross. 1928-31
Photo by mermaid99 @ Flickr:
The Midland Hotel (Morecambe, Lancashire). The London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company decided to replace the existing Victorian building with a more modern structure. In January 1932 it approved plans for a new hotel to be built on the seafront at a cost of just under £72, 000. The LMS saw Morecambe as an opportunity to make a new departure from traditional hotel design and selected the architect Oliver Hill to provide the company with "a building of international quality in the modern style". Work commenced in August 1932, the new building rising from the lawn in front of the old hotel before the latter was eventually demolished some months later (source).
Photo by Philip Callow @ Flickr
Faraday Building, home of a BT exchange (London, built in 1933. Architect: A.R.Myers).Photo by hha24l @ Flickr:
The (former) Garrick Thatre, Southport. Built in 1932 on the site of the Opera House and said to be George Tonge’s finest design. A massive building in red brick with stone dressings in what was described, loosely, as Italian Renaissance style, but actually a splendid Art Deco invention. Frontages to Lord Street and Kingsway are linked by a curved corner with skyscraper-like ornamental pilasters. Many tall windows with shouldered heads. The Lord Street entrance was originally surmounted by a high canopy with an open colonnade above at first floor which served as a promenade. The now modified foyer had a domed ceiling and niches in Egyptian style. Spectacular Art Deco auditorium has a rounded proscenium with a vast splayed anti-proscenium almost engulfing the four boxes on either side. Curved ceiling follows the contours, previously lit by trough lighting; splayed, panelled walls and, at stalls level, panels with recessed lighting.
The Labworth Cafe (Canvey Island), built in 1932-33 by Ove Arup, who was the chief engineer of the Sydney Opera House too. Much modified since the 1953 floods, and dereliction in the 90s, this is a wonderful place to eat. The seaward facing part used to have two shelters either side, now cafe seating area. The landward facing part used to be on "stilts", with the view resembling two concentric drums on top of each other. The stilts were filled in as part of the Canvey flood defence scheme after the bad 1953 floods.
Muswell Hill Odeon Theatre (London), built in 1936.
The Guildhall (Kingston-on-Thames). Designed by Maurice Webb. 1935
Photo by curry15 @ Flickr: